Cleaning up an apartment is not a task that not too many people look forward to. To properly get the job done, it may often take a lot of time and patience. However, with the right tips and tricks, you can create a spotless living space within a short period of time, whether you are preparing to host unexpected guests or simply for your own peace of mind.
How long does it take to clean an apartment? Approximately 4 hours are needed to clean a 1000 square feet apartment for one person. However, the time it takes for you to clean your apartment entirely depends on the number of chores you have, your cleaning speed and the
There are many factors that come into play when you try to determine just how long it takes to transform a messy apartment into a spotless space. As you can probably tell, there are many variables to take into consideration. But don’t worry, this article will take a look at those factors, and consequently give you tips and tricks that will help speed up your cleaning process.
Factors To Take Into Consideration
- What kind of apartment do you live in? – Consider a studio apartment and a 3 bedroom condo with the same level of mess and cleaning responsibilities. Obviously, the condo owner is going to take longer cleaning up than the individual living in a studio apartment due to the significant difference in square footage that directly translates to a larger surface area to clean.
- How many people do you live with? – The more the people living in your apartment, the larger the cleaning task at hand. With an increased number of apartment occupants, messes pile up quicker, in turn affecting how long it will take to clean up.
- Do you have pets? – Pets, especially furry animal friends, are constantly shedding hair all over your apartment, from your living couch to your carpet. Other than fur, there is also emptying the litter box to consider, along with picking up the toys that your pet leaves lying around. This automatically prolongs the cleaning up process.
- Are there children in the apartment? – Children, especially the young ones, leave huge messes in their wake, including food crumbs, dirty clothes, and toys. Furthermore, they need constant attention, which will inevitably distract you from tidying up. Without a doubt, having kids slows down the whole cleaning process.
- Is there clutter in the apartment? – Imagine two apartments. One belongs to a hoarder who has amassed a huge number of items, and the other is owned by someone who often gets rid of belongings as soon as they start piling up. The latter is going to have an easy time cleaning up since the clutter in the apartment is manageable. On the other hand, it will take longer for the hoarder to clean up since they have way more things to get out of the way.
- How many people are actually cleaning? – Cleaning on your own will obviously take you longer than when you have the help of a roommate or a cleaning service.
Strategies You Can Use To Speed Up Your Cleaning Process
1. Come up with a cleaning schedule – Planning out any activity is important, and cleaning is no different. You are more likely to achieve your goals with a cleaning schedule or checklist handy. This gives you an easy reference to help guide you through what you need to clean, and approximately how long it will take you. Furthermore, an effective cleaning schedule makes subsequent cleaning activities relatively easier since you have a ready routine at hand. If you are having some people over and your apartment is untidy, consider prioritizi ng some parts of the apartment such as the living room, bathroom, and kitchen in your cleaning schedule.
Another important tip to take into consideration when you are coming up with a cleaning schedule is to tackle the tasks that you consider to be cumbersome first, and then proceed to the more manageable ones. You might also need a separate schedule for deep cleaning which requires more time to effectively carry out.
2. Gather your cleaning supplies – Before you start cleaning, collect all the supplies you will need. You won’t necessarily need a different cleaning supply for each room, so this should not be too hard. Grab a vacuum, a sponge, paper towels, a multi-surface cleaning spray, and the garbage bag, among other things. When your apartment is finally spotless, remember to keep all these supplies to one central place so that they are easier to find next time.
3. Focus on one room at a time – If you want the entire cleaning process to go even more smoothly, consider cleaning the apartment one room at a time. You will realize that it is actually more efficient to do it this way because you are likely to be more organized:
Start by gathering any items that don’t belong in the living room and placing them in a container. You don’t have to sort them out immediately, just as long as they are out of the way. The next reasonable step is to focus on your couches. Remove food crumbs, pet hair, and dust from the cushions by brushing them off or using a hand vacuum. Move on to the coffee and end tables, carefully dusting and arranging the items neatly, and getting rid of things you don’t need such as old magazines.
Remember to wipe down other areas that tend to gather dust quickly such as the entertainment unit and bookcases.
Finally, vacuum the living room or mop it up. Add a nice touch by fluffing the pillows and cushions on the couch, and lighting a few scented candles to achieve that welcoming aroma.
Start by placing all the used towels in a hamper and removing any other clutter from the sink, tub, or counters. Wipe down these surfaces with your favorite disinfectant cleaning spray before proceeding to scrub the toilet with a toilet brush and toilet cleaner.
The next step is to use the glass cleaner to wipe off any streaks and spots on your bathroom mirror. Straighten out the items you had removed such as toiletries, hair dryers, and makeup so that they look neat and presentable. Remember to leave your shower curtain closed to avoid moisture accumulation.
To remove any stray hairs or dust on the bathroom floor, you can use a hand vacuum to quickly tidy up.
Gather all the dirty dishes you might have left lying around in your apartment to place in the sink. Dirty dishes are not a pretty sight, so it is best to kick things off by washing them. Whether you decide to wash them by hand or rinse them off and stack in the dishwasher is entirely up to you. If there is an odor coming from your garbage disposal, use some baking soda or vinegar to eliminate the smell.
Once you have finished up with the dishes, move on to the kitchen countertops, wiping them down with disinfectant wipes. Take some time to also clean the kitchen appliances you intend to use, especially if you intend to host guests in the kitchen.
Finish up by sweeping or mopping the floor, and then take out the trash.
Collect any dirty clothes and place them in the laundry basket. Fold any clean items, or hang them to clear the area, and then proceed to make your bed. This simple action will instantly improve the whole bedroom appearance.
Collect any trash that may be lying around to put in the trash can, which you can empty when it fills up. If you have the time, organize your closet as well.
The next step is to focus on your nightstand or desk. These areas tend to get dusty, so ensure to wipe them down. Sort the items on these surfaces, getting rid of anything you don’t need and neatly organizing whatever you don’t throw out.
Finally, vacuum the bedroom floor and use an essential oil diffuser to leave the room smelling heavenly.
- How do I find a reliable cleaning service? – You can look up companies that offer cleaning services in your area online and pick one based on the reviews posted on credible sites. You can also request for references from the previous customer, or opt to check the company’s credentials. After you settle on one, discuss factors such as the type of service you want and cleaning supplies, equipment, and products to be used. Agree on the tasks you want to be handled, as well as the cleaning costs.
- How long does it take to deep clean an apartment? – Deep cleaning your apartment will take significantly longer since the whole process is more thorough. The amount of time it will depend on the chores you intend to tackle.